Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Kicking A Bad Habit

You know they say it takes 21 days to form a habit. At least that's what I've heard. And I have spent the last 21 days eating hearty comfort food, splurging on chocolates and throwing diet caution (and sensibility) to the wind. 

Last night, in fact, I ate an entire package of those delicious Dark Chocolate Emerald Nuts. They remind me of chocolate Teddy Grahams that I used to eat when I was a kid. But even better—they are crunchy. One handful turns into two, and before I know it, I am watching a new episode of "Chopped" on the Food Network (a newfound obsession) and literally holding the container over my head, pouring the remaining crunchy pieces and chocolate dust into my mouth. How did that even happen? Two hours and I managed to down 1,500 calories like a professional heavyweight eating champion without flinching.

This morning, I woke up and whatdoyaknow— those almonds seemed to miraculously appear around my midsection. Or at least it feels that way. I heard on the radio that the average American stops doing their New Year's resolutions right about next week. On one hand, that was truly saddening, but on the other hand, I'm a little excited to see all the newbies clear out of my crowded gym. Mostly, I thought about the fact that I haven't really though very long and hard about any of my resolutions. What are they really? Sure, I want to be a better person...but how? I didn't really set any cut and dry goals. How many pounds do I want to lose? How much of my book do I want to write this year? How much money should be saving? I've been avoiding setting these standards like I do looking at my credit card statements—I really just want to push it off until the last minute, because, well, it's just exhausting. 

But this, like any behavior, is habit-forming. Which makes me realize that all those times we avoid or put off creating new and healthy habits because it's just so much effort to start, we are inevitably generating horrible habits of unmotivated behavior and procrastination.

I've had a few fabulously lax months where I have indulged, enjoyed and celebrated anything that crossed my path, and it's time enjoy the process of working hard again. I forgive myself for getting off track—in fact, I've had a lighthearted laugh about it. And so should you!

And today, I've decided to be clear, be definitive and actually take some accountability for my desire to be resolute. Changes will happen one day at a time. It will get easier. 

So...20 days more of this? That doesn't seem so bad. Check back and I'll let you know what sticks.

—Tova Gelfond


Fill in below if you need a little guidance. 


2010 Resolutions/Goals


Emotional Goals

Spiritual Goals

Physical Goals

Mental Goals

Career Goals

Financial Goals

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Blush Magazine